Maldives Travel Guide: Places to Visit, Things to Do
Introduction – Maldives or the Maldive Islands (known as the ‘The Pearl Necklace’ of the Indian Ocean) is a tropical nation in the Indian Ocean consisting of 26 ring-shaped atolls and has over 1,000 coral islands. This is a tranquil haven for wanderlust lovers who crave the exotic islands, mesmerizing sea, white sands, coral reefs and a journey to remember. This one of the best tourist destinations of Asia. It is a paradise for lovers who wish to spend their honeymoon in serene and calm environment. It is dotted with incredible beauty and splendid nature. The destination is extremely enthralling and the best time to visit Maldives is during the month of December to April.
Places to see in Maldives
Utheemu Ganduvaru – Situated in the north of Maldives, this is one of the tourist attractions in Maldives. It is a historical place which is the house of the Sultan Mohammad Thankurufaan. This is indeed a great historical site known for the heroic actions of Maldivians who saved the common folk from the cruel Portuguese conquerors.
HP Reef – This is the place of stunning corals and vibrant marine life. Needless to say, this is among the top-rated tourist attractions in Maldives. The place is situated at the North Male Atoll and dotted with colorful fishes and other marine animals. The place is a protected marine site and perfect for diving. The divine blue sea and vivacity of marine life is surely going to lift your mood.
Biyadhoo Island Resort – It is situated in South Malé Atoll and has a fascinating site of Maldives. It is one of the most serene places to visit and counted among one of the best resorts all over world. It offers various activities like diving, snorkeling and many other water sports. In fact, it is often called the ‘Scuba-diving Island’. There are various luxurious hotels here but the major attraction of this place is snorkeling, scuba diving and canoe-paddling.
Hukuru Miskiiy Mosque – The Hukuru Miskiiy Mosque is also known as the Old Friday Mosque in Maldives and one of the best place to witness the Islamic culture. It is one of the oldest mosque named after the Emperor of the same name. The interior of the mosque offers outstanding architectural designs with carvings of different kinds of patterns and Arabic scripts, which is simply extraordinary. The place is extremely calm and peaceful.
Fihalhohi Island – This is the ideal place for romantic destination. It is located at the South Kaafu Atoll in Malé and offers a gorgeous place for lovers and ideal for your romantic getaway or honeymoon. The beauty and serenity of white sands, coconut palm trees and clear blue water, it is surely going to win your heart. The major attractions are Fihalhohi Island Resort, Rannalhi and Rihiveli beaches.
Things to do in Maldives –
- Take a bike ride and explore the beauty of the city and especially, Malé which is the largest and liveliest city in Maldives. The roads are perfect for bike rides and you can explore various places as well.
- Maldives has various local artisans in their workshops and various local arts and crafts are available. Therefore, go for shopping for the local and traditional items.
- Since this is an island, you can also go for fishing. Take a fishing trip on a speedboat and catch fishes like tuna, sail fish, etc. There are provisions for barbecue as well.
- There are provisions for water sports like diving, windsurfing and snorkeling, relaxation at sauna and spa, island hopping and many more.
- The view of sea and pristine sand is serene so you can also relax on the various beaches.
- There are provisions for spa and massages and other relaxation therapies and pampering. There is a spa at every resort in Maldives.
Maldives is famous for sea food for obvious reasons. Fish (tuna) is one of the important staple of the Maldivian diet. The cuisine of Maldives is a great mix of Arabic, Indian, Sri Lankan and Oriental influences. Coconuts are a key part of many dishes in Maldives. Dishes like Garudhiya, Keemia, Gulha, Mas Huni, Bajiya and Masroshi are very popular in Maldives.
Currency conversion for Maldives is very easy, there are many reliable currency convertors who will convert your currency to their Maldivian rufiyaa. You can also check the rates using online currency convertor. It helps you with real time figures based on current market or bank foreign exchange rates, it would be of an excellent help while travelling.
Maldives Tourism has a lot to offer, so plan your Maldives trip soon 🙂