Benefits Of Tea Tree Oil + Best Brands for Tea Tree Oil in India
Who would have thought that this small bottle of oil can be such a miracle for our body? I believed it only after using it myself.
Tea-tree oil is also known as melaleuca oil, it is a yellowish coloured essential oil that is made from the leaves of the plant ‘Melaleuca alternifolia’ which is found in Australia. It is a plant with many medicinal properties and has been used since ancient times for various issues. It does have a very strong smell but the benefits can easily beat the smell.
So here is a list of some of the benefits of Tea tree oil:
1. Acne: Tea tree oil is one of the best ingredient to reduce acne, it is known to be as effective as benzoyl peroxide. You can dilute tea tree oil with water or mix it with a carrier oil and then apply it on areas with acne. Otherwise, you can just buy products such as face wash or toners with tea tree oil in it.
2. Acne marks: Tea tree oil can not only remove acne but can also help with your acne marks. It won’t get rid of them completely but it would still work to an extent. You can dilute tea tree oil with some water and apply it on the affected areas. But the method that I like to use is, to mix two drops of tea tree oil with a pea sized amount of moisturiser and then apply it on my face. This would give an extra boost to the moisturiser and would help in removing those acne marks and spots.
3. Scars: Other than acne marks, tea tree oil is one of the most natural and efficient ways to treat scars. No wonder, in olden times’ people used tea tree oil to heal their cuts and wounds. Take few drops of tea tree oil and dilute it with water and apply it on the scar.
4. Itchy skin: Our skin itches mostly due to the presence of bacteria, so in order to stop itching the bacteria has to be killed. Tea tree oil is the best ingredient to kill bacteria, therefore dilute it with water or a carrier oil and apply it on the area where it itches or mix it with your moisturiser and apply it. You can also use body washes or lotions with tea tree oil. Or just add a few drops of tea tree oil daily in your bathing water.
5. Skin infections: Tea tree oil can cure so many skin infections such as warts, boils, chicken pox, Psoriasis and Eczema. For warts or boils, mix few drops of tea tree oil with water and apply it. For chicken pox, mix 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil with olive oil and apply it twice a day. For Psoriasis and Eczema, mix 1 teaspoon of coconut oil with 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil and apply it. The properties in tea tree oil will truly heal these infections and for skin infections, I would recommend you to use tea tree oil instead of products with tea tree oil.
6. Wrinkles: Tea tree oil is a magic product for young and supple skin. It has antioxidants which helps your skin remain healthy and its properties prevents spots, acnes and wrinkles. As I mentioned earlier, mix one or two drops of tea tree oil with your moisturiser. Or if you are making any home-made mask then just mix two or three drops of tea tree oil in it and apply it on your face. This would keep your skin healthy and young.
7. Hair growth and dry scalp: When you are giving yourself an oil massage with olive oil and coconut oil, add few drops of tea tree oil to get maximum benefits. It would help in hair growth and would treat dry scalp.
8. Dandruff: Other than acne, tea tree oil is also widely known to treat dandruff. Just like the moisturiser method, mix two to three drops of tea tree oil with your shampoo and wash your hair. Otherwise, you can use shampoos and conditioners with tea tree oil in it. When you are looking for a shampoo, try to look for the shampoos with 5% or less tea tree oil in it.
9. Nails: Tea tree oil can help in the removal of toe nail fungal. Just take pure tea tree oil and apply it on the nails which has toenail fungus and let it rest. Do this every day and you will see good results. While applying this, avoid the skin around the nail.
10. Others: Tea tree oil is antibacterial, hence it can treat cold. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil in a small pan of boiling water. Take a steam for 10 minutes and it would work to heal your cold. It can also help with athlete’s’ foot and it is an ingredient with anti-cancer properties.
To conclude, you need to only use a small amount of tea tree oil and for everything other than your nails its best to dilute or mix it with something. Carrier oils are oils which are used to dilute an essential oil. Some of the carrier oils are coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil and so on.
- Tea tree oil should not be consumed, it is considered poisonous.
- Do a patch test to ensure that you are not allergic to tea tree oil.
- Do not use undiluted tea tree oil all over your face.
- Avoid the area around your eyes or mouth
- If you have severe acne or skin infections, consult a dermatologist before using tea tree oil.
Best brands of tea tree oil in India
These are the five brands of tea tree that I like and these are easily available online. These small bottles of magic can last a long time and help you. The prices mentioned below are standard prices but you can get a discount if you buy them online.
Apart from the famous The Body Shop Tea Tree oil, there is Fab India’s Tea Tree oil and a few other brands mentioned below which are quite good:
1. Aloe Veda Distil Aromatherapy Tea Tree Oil: Rs.260 for 10ml
2. Khadi Tea Tree Oil : Rs. 320 for 10ml (Buy HERE)
3. Aroma magic Tea Tree Oil: Rs.449 for 20ml (Buy HERE)
4. Soulflower Tea Tree Oil: Rs.450 for 15ml (Buy HERE)
5. Emami Aroma Miracle Tea Tree Oil: Rs.250 for 10ml (Buy HERE)
6. Aroma Treasures Tea Tree Oil: Rs.235/- for 10ml (Buy HERE)
Editor’s Note: That’s a nice detailed post Sucharitha
Do you use Tea Tree Oil? Which brand do you like?